5,000 signatures reached
To: Senator Michael Bennet
Defend the Supreme Court from Donald Trump
Your Colorado constituents demand that you defend the Supreme Court from Donald Trump’s racist, fascist agenda. Do not vote to confirm Neil Gorsuch or for cloture to end filibuster of his confirmation.
Why is this important?
This is no time for business as usual: Trump's administration is under investigation by the FBI for colluding with a foreign adversary to win the election. But the Senate is still advancing his nomination for the Supreme Court seat that the Senate Republicans stole from Merrick Garland.
Our Democratic Senator Michael Bennet piled praise on Gorsuch when he helped introduce him to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Judge Gorsuch might be from Colorado, but his judicial record shows he’s extremely more conservative than the vast majority of his home state, and Bennet has no business helping advance his nomination.
Senate Democrats are the only firewall we have against a Donald Trump Supreme Court that will legitimize his hateful policies, undo decades of civil rights progress and destroy the foundations of our democracy for generations. We need to make sure Senator Bennet hears us loud and clear: He must stand up to Trump and do everything he can to stop Gorsuch from getting a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
A Trump Supreme Court could institutionalize Trump's extremism for generations. There’s no way Senator Bennet should preemptively compromise or cave to Republican extremism and help Trump stack the court, just because he and Gorsuch share a home state, yet Senator Bennet is one of the few Senate Democrats who has yet to say where he stands.
Oregon's Senator Jeff Merkley has promised to use the filibuster to force Senate Republicans to get 60 votes to advance Gorsuch’s confirmation to a final vote. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has now pledged to join him. Senator Bennet has a choice. He can stand up for Colorado workers women, Muslims, immigrants, LGBTQ people and our environment or he can hand the Supreme Court over to Trump. Let's make sure he knows that Coloradans expect him to refuse to help confirm Gorsuch. Please add your name to support my petition.
1. Matt Apuzzo, Matthew Rosenberg, and Emmarie Huetteman, “F.B.I. Is Investigating Trump’s Russia Ties, Comey Confirms,” The New York Times, March 20, 2017
2. Christopher Osher, “Senate’s upcoming vote on Neil Gorsuch’s Supreme Court nomination expected to be a political clash with big ramifications, The Denver Post,” The Denver Post, March 26, 2017
3. Mat Flegenheimer, Carl Hulse, Charlie Savage and Adam Liptak, "Six Highlights From the Gorsuch Confirmation Hearing," The New York Times, March 20, 2017.
4. Mark Matthews and Jesse Paul “The heat is on for Michael Bennet: Will he support Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch?,” The Denver Post, March 21, 2017
5. Robert Barnes, Ed O'Keefe and Ann E. Marimow, “Schumer: Democrats will filibuster Gorsuch nomination,” The Washington Post, March 23, 2017